The SNOMED CT Expo’s James Read Memorial Lecture is a keynote feature of the Expo event and embodies the practical application of SNOMED CT in real world settings.
SNOMED International is pleased to announce Christian Reich, MD, PhD as the 2018 SNOMED CT Expo James Read Memorial Lecturer.
Representing the Observational Health Data Sciences and Informatics (OHDSI), Christian Reich will share with our audience the insights and experiences leveraging SNOMED CT to support OHDSI’s mission of improving health by empowering a community to collaboratively generate the evidence that promotes better health decisions and better care.
As part of the lecture, Christian will share information on the global OHDSI network with our community of practice, including their path forward and evidence generation from a global large scale observational data network supported by the depth of SNOMED CT use as their reference terminology for conditions.
Don’t let this opportunity pass to learn from and engage with this year’s James Read Memorial Lecturer.
Register today at www.snomedexpo.org. Review the program, and take advantage of competitive accommodation rates and airfare savings to Vancouver, BC.
Calling all Attendees
Vancouver is a highly sought-after tourist and business destination and we encourage you to reserve your room early to avoid disappointment. SNOMED International has obtained special delegate rates (Deluxe Room: $249 CAD / Deluxe Harbour Room: $289 CAD) at the Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver (the Expo venue). The Pan Pacific Vancouver boasts an incredible harborfront location and easy access to the airport via the Skytrain.
Rates for our event dates are guaranteed until September 21, 2018. Rates for shoulder dates before and post-event are on an availability basis.
- Register for the Business Meeting & Expo at http://www.snomedexpo.org/register-now.
- Book your accommodations at the Pan Pacific Vancouver by clicking here.
Expo & Business Meeting Programs Available
- The abstracts are in and the program has been set. Review the diverse conference program to plan your 2018 SNOMED CT Expo experience.
- The schedule for the accompanying October 2018 Business Meeting is also available to assist with your conference planning.
Air Canada is the official airline of SNOMED CT Expo 2018 and our delegates will enjoy discounts of 5-12% off their airfare. Your discount code and booking instructions will be provided in your registration confirmation.
Sponsors & Exhibitors
We are pleased to announce our excellent contingent of industry supporters for this year’s SNOMED CT Expo 2018 and extend our thanks for their support:
- American Medical Association
- Clinical Architecture/Apelon
- West Coast Informatics
Visit www.snomedexpo.org for more information on our 2018 Supporters, Exhibitors and Sponsors.
Questions? Visit www.snomedexpo.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Q2 2018 Edition of SNOMED International's quarterly newsletter, The Concept, is now available.
This quarter's lineup includes a number of newsworthy organization and Member updates including:
- 2018 SNOMED CT Expo & Business Meeting Schedules, Programs, Registration and Accommodation Information - Don't Delay, Book Today!
- Call to Action: Dentistry Clinical Reference Group
- Quality Initiative Underway
- Genomics Update
- 2017 Annual Report Available
- Extensions Practical Guide Available
- Recent activities in Ireland, Czech Republic and Switzerland
- and More!
Read the issue to get caught up on all the recent months updates.
Contact email@example.com for additional information.
The Call for AG Nominations has been extended to Friday June 22nd.
At this time, SNOMED International is seeking volunteers to serve on the following Advisory Groups:
- E-Learning (ELAG)
- Modelling (MAG)
The Consultant Terminologist Program has been undergoing a review for the past year, with both internal and external input. As part of that review, there have been many contributions to both identifying where changes could be made and also the benefits found from participating. To those that contributed, we want to thank you for your input!
We have concluded our evaluation and can now advise that the Consultant Terminologist Program will no longer be offered in the same format. Students who are currently enrolled will be able to complete the program and become certified. However, SNOMED International will not be accepting new students into the program. For prior participants needing to re-certify in 2018, the period of certification will extend for 12 months.
SNOMED International’s redesign of the terminologist education program will include the following elements:
Recertification will continue to be available for those currently certified. However in 2019 a new recertification process will be rolled out. While the full details have not been finalized, we will ensure that the Consultant Community of Practice is advised of the new process with sufficient time to meet the requirements.
As part of these changes, SNOMED International's terminologist education will reside entirely with the Education and Product Support team and will transition out of other areas such as Content and Mapping.
The Content Development Theory Course and the Consultant Terminologist Program will be redesigned into a streamlined, multi-level terminology authoring program. This program will start with a Level 1 Terminology Authoring Course, which will combine content development theory with a 'hands-on' authoring component using a training version of our terminology authoring platform. The Level 1 pilot is due to commence in September 2018.
Building on this, an advanced Level 2 Terminology Authoring Course will be piloted in late 2019. This online course will also include a hands-on component. We anticipate that this course will supersede the current Consultant Program. Further details of this course will be made available at a later date.
In some cases, we will need to obtain your explicit consent under GDPR to process your information or send you emails. In these cases we will either contact you directly or you will be asked for your consent when you next access the service. You have the right at any time to change your consent or have your details removed from our systems where applicable.
As a result of the Privacy Impact Assessments we have undertaken, we are required to make some changes which may alter the way you interact with the following Services:
- As part of the Explicit Consent rule, we will be removing all Confluence users from automatic email notifications. You will need to actively “Opt-In” to be able to receive email notifications from Confluence by “watching” specific groups or pages. Information on how to do this can be found here - http://snomed.org/howto-opt-in.
Cvent - Conference Management Service:
- Where applicable, re-consent will be requested from attendees at the point of event registration and at the next SNOMED International Business Meeting and SNOMED CT Expo during sign in. Emails sent from this service will have unsubscribe links to allow recipients to change and update their preferences.
Mailchimp - Mailing List Management Service:
- SNOMED International will issue a communication to any current mailing lists requesting explicit consent to contact you for the purposes of promoting SNOMED International, the SNOMED Community, along with updates specific to SNOMED International events. Emails sent from this service already have unsubscribe links to allow recipients to change and update their preferences.
Full details on how SNOMED International has prepared for GDPR can be found in our Compliance Statement, http://snomed.org/gdpr-compliance.
If you have any questions or queries please contact our Data Protection Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
The time has come for the SNOMED International community of practice to submit nominations to support this year's SNOMED International awards process.
SNOMED International acknowledges individual contributions to the organization and community through 2 awards:
- The Award for Excellence (given annually), and
- The Lifetime Achievement Award (awarded periodically)
In 2017, the Award for Excellence was awarded to both Bruce Goldberg and Betsy Humphreys, with Betsy also receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Think about someone who is worthy; Someone deserving; and Someone who should be honoured at the SNOMED International Gala dinner in Vancouver this October 17th.
- Note: An employee of SNOMED International is eligible to nominate someone so long as he or she finds someone from the Community of Practice to serve as a co-nominator.
The deadline has been extended to submit nominations to: July 16, 2018.
Submit your nominations to email@example.com.
It is through your thoughtful consideration and retrospection that we are able to honour the thought leaders in our community.
The Q1 2018 Edition of SNOMED International's quarterly newsletter, The Concept, is now available.
This quarter's lineup includes a number of important organization and Member updates including:
- SNOMED International Welcomes Argentina as its 31st Member
- Mark Your Calendars…Expo 2018 Call for Abstracts Closes April 10th
- All Eyes on Vancouver: SNOMED CT Expo 2018, October 18-19
- January 2018 Release: SNOMED CT International Edition
- SNOMED CT supports athlete care at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games
Corporate News & Updates
- SNOMED International Business Meeting Reminder
- 2018 SNOMED International Product & Services Catalog
- Early Visibility: Changes to Jan 2019 CRS Service Levels
- Extensions Practical Guide – Draft for Community Review
- SNOMED CT for Developers Learning Pathway
- Update on Clinical Engagement: Clinical Reference Groups
- Content Achievements: First Quarter, 2018
- Vendor Engagement Day at Ireland’s NRC
- SNOMED CT in Primary Care – NHS Digital Implementation Update
- Inaugural Release of the JIC Patient Summary Standards Set
- Laying the Groundwork for Interoperability at the Olympics
- SNOMED CT Expo 2018: October 18-19, Vancouver, BC
- Hospitalar: May 22-25, Sao Paolo, Brazil
- American Medical Informatics Association: Nov 3-7, 2018
As part of SNOMED International’s commitment to developing SNOMED CT for Genomics, we have organized a day long symposium following the April Business Meeting to discuss the current and potential future state of clinical terminology support for Genomics.
The presentations and discussion will leverage the experiences from University Hospital Nebraska, Australia and the US, along with perspectives from the UK, including a focus on:
- Developing interoperable pathology reports using ontologies: hopes, aspirations and reality
- Developing use of ontologies for mapping medicine
Invited presenters include Jim Campbell, Hasan Rizvi, Scott Campbell, Damian Smedley, Olivier Bodenreider, Michael Osbourne, Kate Ebrill.
- 9:30: Registration
- 10:00: Program Start
- 16:30: Program Concludes
- UCL Partners, 3rd Floor, Boardroom
170 Tottenham Court Rd, Fitzrovia, London W1T 7HA
Places at the event are limited. If you are interested in attending please register your interest below:
Are you attending the SNOMED International April Business Meeting? Do you want to know more about NHS Digital's concept for a UK National Clinical Terminology Service? If so, stay on at the Amba on April 12th-13th and take part in this National Clinical Terminology Service Connectathon Day.
Objectives of the 2-day technical session include:
- Introduce the NHS Digital Proof of Concept for a UK National Clinical Terminology Service (NCTS) and its use of the HL7 Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resource (FHIR®) specification.
- Provide hands on coding and testing.
- Gather input on potential use, development of the specifications and infrastructure of a potential NCTS. This includes feedback on the planned functionality as well as understanding the priority functionality that implementers may require.
- Develop a community of interest to participate in future development and discussion of a NCTS service.
Contact Gwen Smith for additional information.
*Please Note: This is an event organized by NHS Digital, and is not affiliated with the SNOMED International April Business Meeting.