The Call for AG Nominations has been extended to Friday June 22nd.
At this time, SNOMED International is seeking volunteers to serve on the following Advisory Groups:
- E-Learning (ELAG)
- Modelling (MAG)
The Consultant Terminologist Program has been undergoing a review for the past year, with both internal and external input. As part of that review, there have been many contributions to both identifying where changes could be made and also the benefits found from participating. To those that contributed, we want to thank you for your input!
We have concluded our evaluation and can now advise that the Consultant Terminologist Program will no longer be offered in the same format. Students who are currently enrolled will be able to complete the program and become certified. However, SNOMED International will not be accepting new students into the program. For prior participants needing to re-certify in 2018, the period of certification will extend for 12 months.
SNOMED International’s redesign of the terminologist education program will include the following elements:
Recertification will continue to be available for those currently certified. However in 2019 a new recertification process will be rolled out. While the full details have not been finalized, we will ensure that the Consultant Community of Practice is advised of the new process with sufficient time to meet the requirements.
As part of these changes, SNOMED International's terminologist education will reside entirely with the Education and Product Support team and will transition out of other areas such as Content and Mapping.
The Content Development Theory Course and the Consultant Terminologist Program will be redesigned into a streamlined, multi-level terminology authoring program. This program will start with a Level 1 Terminology Authoring Course, which will combine content development theory with a 'hands-on' authoring component using a training version of our terminology authoring platform. The Level 1 pilot is due to commence in September 2018.
Building on this, an advanced Level 2 Terminology Authoring Course will be piloted in late 2019. This online course will also include a hands-on component. We anticipate that this course will supersede the current Consultant Program. Further details of this course will be made available at a later date.
In some cases, we will need to obtain your explicit consent under GDPR to process your information or send you emails. In these cases we will either contact you directly or you will be asked for your consent when you next access the service. You have the right at any time to change your consent or have your details removed from our systems where applicable.
As a result of the Privacy Impact Assessments we have undertaken, we are required to make some changes which may alter the way you interact with the following Services:
- As part of the Explicit Consent rule, we will be removing all Confluence users from automatic email notifications. You will need to actively “Opt-In” to be able to receive email notifications from Confluence by “watching” specific groups or pages. Information on how to do this can be found here - http://snomed.org/howto-opt-in.
Cvent - Conference Management Service:
- Where applicable, re-consent will be requested from attendees at the point of event registration and at the next SNOMED International Business Meeting and SNOMED CT Expo during sign in. Emails sent from this service will have unsubscribe links to allow recipients to change and update their preferences.
Mailchimp - Mailing List Management Service:
- SNOMED International will issue a communication to any current mailing lists requesting explicit consent to contact you for the purposes of promoting SNOMED International, the SNOMED Community, along with updates specific to SNOMED International events. Emails sent from this service already have unsubscribe links to allow recipients to change and update their preferences.
Full details on how SNOMED International has prepared for GDPR can be found in our Compliance Statement, http://snomed.org/gdpr-compliance.
If you have any questions or queries please contact our Data Protection Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
The time has come for the SNOMED International community of practice to submit nominations to support this year's SNOMED International awards process.
SNOMED International acknowledges individual contributions to the organization and community through 2 awards:
- The Award for Excellence (given annually), and
- The Lifetime Achievement Award (awarded periodically)
In 2017, the Award for Excellence was awarded to both Bruce Goldberg and Betsy Humphreys, with Betsy also receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Think about someone who is worthy; Someone deserving; and Someone who should be honoured at the SNOMED International Gala dinner in Vancouver this October 17th.
- Note: An employee of SNOMED International is eligible to nominate someone so long as he or she finds someone from the Community of Practice to serve as a co-nominator.
The deadline to nominate someone is June 30, 2018.
Submit your nominations to email@example.com.
It is through your thoughtful consideration and retrospection that we are able to honour the thought leaders in our community.
The Q1 2018 Edition of SNOMED International's quarterly newsletter, The Concept, is now available.
This quarter's lineup includes a number of important organization and Member updates including:
- SNOMED International Welcomes Argentina as its 31st Member
- Mark Your Calendars…Expo 2018 Call for Abstracts Closes April 10th
- All Eyes on Vancouver: SNOMED CT Expo 2018, October 18-19
- January 2018 Release: SNOMED CT International Edition
- SNOMED CT supports athlete care at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games
Corporate News & Updates
- SNOMED International Business Meeting Reminder
- 2018 SNOMED International Product & Services Catalog
- Early Visibility: Changes to Jan 2019 CRS Service Levels
- Extensions Practical Guide – Draft for Community Review
- SNOMED CT for Developers Learning Pathway
- Update on Clinical Engagement: Clinical Reference Groups
- Content Achievements: First Quarter, 2018
- Vendor Engagement Day at Ireland’s NRC
- SNOMED CT in Primary Care – NHS Digital Implementation Update
- Inaugural Release of the JIC Patient Summary Standards Set
- Laying the Groundwork for Interoperability at the Olympics
- SNOMED CT Expo 2018: October 18-19, Vancouver, BC
- Hospitalar: May 22-25, Sao Paolo, Brazil
- American Medical Informatics Association: Nov 3-7, 2018
As part of SNOMED International’s commitment to developing SNOMED CT for Genomics, we have organized a day long symposium following the April Business Meeting to discuss the current and potential future state of clinical terminology support for Genomics.
The presentations and discussion will leverage the experiences from University Hospital Nebraska, Australia and the US, along with perspectives from the UK, including a focus on:
- Developing interoperable pathology reports using ontologies: hopes, aspirations and reality
- Developing use of ontologies for mapping medicine
Invited presenters include Jim Campbell, Hasan Rizvi, Scott Campbell, Damian Smedley, Olivier Bodenreider, Michael Osbourne, Kate Ebrill.
- 9:30: Registration
- 10:00: Program Start
- 16:30: Program Concludes
- UCL Partners, 3rd Floor, Boardroom
170 Tottenham Court Rd, Fitzrovia, London W1T 7HA
Places at the event are limited. If you are interested in attending please register your interest below:
Are you attending the SNOMED International April Business Meeting? Do you want to know more about NHS Digital's concept for a UK National Clinical Terminology Service? If so, stay on at the Amba on April 12th-13th and take part in this National Clinical Terminology Service Connectathon Day.
Objectives of the 2-day technical session include:
- Introduce the NHS Digital Proof of Concept for a UK National Clinical Terminology Service (NCTS) and its use of the HL7 Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resource (FHIR®) specification.
- Provide hands on coding and testing.
- Gather input on potential use, development of the specifications and infrastructure of a potential NCTS. This includes feedback on the planned functionality as well as understanding the priority functionality that implementers may require.
- Develop a community of interest to participate in future development and discussion of a NCTS service.
Contact Gwen Smith for additional information.
*Please Note: This is an event organized by NHS Digital, and is not affiliated with the SNOMED International April Business Meeting.
The SNOMED International April Business Meeting is scheduled for April 8-11th, 2018 at the Amba Charing Cross Hotel in London, UK.
- Rate is inclusive of VAT and full English breakfast (£239.00/night)
- Must be booked by March 17th, 2018
- Attendees are to make their own reservations by calling 0800 330 8397 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org quoting booking reference (SNOM070418)
- Limited rooms available - Review closely located accommodations here.
- Dr. Afzal Chaudhry, CCIO, Cambridge University Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust, joins us as our Opening Plenary Speaker
- 35+ governance, advisory and project group sessions
- Monday evening drinks reception featuring a caricaturist and roving magician
- NHS Digital Connectathon conveniently held at the Amba after the conclusion of the April Business Meeting
Contact email@example.com with any questions.
See you in April!
Updated Schedule - March 12th, 2018
Opening Plenary Speaker:
Dr Afzal Chaudhry is a Consultant Nephrologist and the Chief Clinical Information Officer (CCIO) at
He leads the CUH eHospital programme delivering a trust-wide HIMSS Stage 6 electronic patient record, and the Informatics component of the Population and Quantitative Science theme in the Cambridge NIHR Biomedical Research Centre.
In October 2017, Dr Chaudhry was recognized as the UK CCIO of the year.
Visit SNOMED International at Booth #977 to engage in conversation and share your insights on how clinical terminology is contributing to healthcare interoperability.
The team is eager to share updates on new partnerships, tools, and initiatives that will leverage the power of structured clinical terminology in the health space.
We have an active week planned for HIMSS18 - Stay up to date on SNOMED International’s sessions on our dedicated HIMSS18 webpage.
Monday March 5th, 2018:
3:30pm - 4:30pm:
Harnessing the power of clinical terminology through SNOMED CT; the global language of healthcare
Location: Lido 3003, The Venetian
Capacity: 40 ppl
Tuesday March 6th, 2018:
4:30pm - 5:30pm:
Interoperability Showcase: Launching a Global Digital Health Initiative to Support the Olympic Games
(A non-SNOMED International organized event)
Location: Las Vegas - Sands Convention Center HALL G BOOTH 11955ET
Drinks reception to follow
Wednesday March 7th 2018:
8:00am - 5:30pm:
Don Sweete, featured panelist, Data Analytics – Clinical and Business Intelligence, HIMSS International Conference (11am)
(A non-SNOMED International organized event)
Location: Wynn Las Vegas, Lafite 5
1:00pm - 2:00pm:
OHI: Healthcare Interoperability at the Olympic Games
(A non-SNOMED International organized event)
Location: Las Vegas - Venetian Convention Center, Murano 3301
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Join in the Conversation @Snomedct and #Snomedct
In November 2017, SNOMED International initiated a consultation period regarding proposed enhancements to SNOMED CT's logic features.
Read the original post: SNOMED CT Description Logic Enhancements - Consultation
Your feedback to the proposal is greatly appreciated and will assist SNOMED International in making the provision of enhanced capabilities as seamless as possible for the majority of users.
Submit your Feedback by February 28th, 2018
The 2018 April Business Meeting schedule has been finalized and registration is now open.
Please access additional information regarding the schedule, registration and booking your accommodation via the below link:
Please book your accommodation by March 17th, 2018 to secure the pre-arranged rate. A list of alternative accommodations has been provided.
For additional questions, please contact Alison Delle (email@example.com)