The Q1 2018 Edition of SNOMED International's quarterly newsletter, The Concept, is now available.
This quarter's lineup includes a number of important organization and Member updates including:
- SNOMED International Welcomes Argentina as its 31st Member
- Mark Your Calendars…Expo 2018 Call for Abstracts Closes April 10th
- All Eyes on Vancouver: SNOMED CT Expo 2018, October 18-19
- January 2018 Release: SNOMED CT International Edition
- SNOMED CT supports athlete care at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games
Corporate News & Updates
- SNOMED International Business Meeting Reminder
- 2018 SNOMED International Product & Services Catalog
- Early Visibility: Changes to Jan 2019 CRS Service Levels
- Extensions Practical Guide – Draft for Community Review
- SNOMED CT for Developers Learning Pathway
- Update on Clinical Engagement: Clinical Reference Groups
- Content Achievements: First Quarter, 2018
- Vendor Engagement Day at Ireland’s NRC
- SNOMED CT in Primary Care – NHS Digital Implementation Update
- Inaugural Release of the JIC Patient Summary Standards Set
- Laying the Groundwork for Interoperability at the Olympics
- SNOMED CT Expo 2018: October 18-19, Vancouver, BC
- Hospitalar: May 22-25, Sao Paolo, Brazil
- American Medical Informatics Association: Nov 3-7, 2018
As part of SNOMED International’s commitment to developing SNOMED CT for Genomics, we have organized a day long symposium following the April Business Meeting to discuss the current and potential future state of clinical terminology support for Genomics.
The presentations and discussion will leverage the experiences from University Hospital Nebraska, Australia and the US, along with perspectives from the UK, including a focus on:
- Developing interoperable pathology reports using ontologies: hopes, aspirations and reality
- Developing use of ontologies for mapping medicine
Invited presenters include Jim Campbell, Hasan Rizvi, Scott Campbell, Damian Smedley, Olivier Bodenreider, Michael Osbourne, Kate Ebrill.
- 9:30: Registration
- 10:00: Program Start
- 16:30: Program Concludes
- UCL Partners, 3rd Floor, Boardroom
170 Tottenham Court Rd, Fitzrovia, London W1T 7HA
Places at the event are limited. If you are interested in attending please register your interest below:
Are you attending the SNOMED International April Business Meeting? Do you want to know more about NHS Digital's concept for a UK National Clinical Terminology Service? If so, stay on at the Amba on April 12th-13th and take part in this National Clinical Terminology Service Connectathon Day.
Objectives of the 2-day technical session include:
- Introduce the NHS Digital Proof of Concept for a UK National Clinical Terminology Service (NCTS) and its use of the HL7 Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resource (FHIR®) specification.
- Provide hands on coding and testing.
- Gather input on potential use, development of the specifications and infrastructure of a potential NCTS. This includes feedback on the planned functionality as well as understanding the priority functionality that implementers may require.
- Develop a community of interest to participate in future development and discussion of a NCTS service.
Contact Gwen Smith for additional information.
*Please Note: This is an event organized by NHS Digital, and is not affiliated with the SNOMED International April Business Meeting.
The SNOMED International April Business Meeting is scheduled for April 8-11th, 2018 at the Amba Charing Cross Hotel in London, UK.
- Rate is inclusive of VAT and full English breakfast (£239.00/night)
- Must be booked by March 17th, 2018
- Attendees are to make their own reservations by calling 0800 330 8397 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org quoting booking reference (SNOM070418)
- Limited rooms available - Review closely located accommodations here.
- Dr. Afzal Chaudhry, CCIO, Cambridge University Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust, joins us as our Opening Plenary Speaker
- 35+ governance, advisory and project group sessions
- Monday evening drinks reception featuring a caricaturist and roving magician
- NHS Digital Connectathon conveniently held at the Amba after the conclusion of the April Business Meeting
Contact email@example.com with any questions.
See you in April!
Updated Schedule - March 12th, 2018
Opening Plenary Speaker:
Dr Afzal Chaudhry is a Consultant Nephrologist and the Chief Clinical Information Officer (CCIO) at
He leads the CUH eHospital programme delivering a trust-wide HIMSS Stage 6 electronic patient record, and the Informatics component of the Population and Quantitative Science theme in the Cambridge NIHR Biomedical Research Centre.
In October 2017, Dr Chaudhry was recognized as the UK CCIO of the year.
Visit SNOMED International at Booth #977 to engage in conversation and share your insights on how clinical terminology is contributing to healthcare interoperability.
The team is eager to share updates on new partnerships, tools, and initiatives that will leverage the power of structured clinical terminology in the health space.
We have an active week planned for HIMSS18 - Stay up to date on SNOMED International’s sessions on our dedicated HIMSS18 webpage.
Monday March 5th, 2018:
3:30pm - 4:30pm:
Harnessing the power of clinical terminology through SNOMED CT; the global language of healthcare
Location: Lido 3003, The Venetian
Capacity: 40 ppl
Tuesday March 6th, 2018:
4:30pm - 5:30pm:
Interoperability Showcase: Launching a Global Digital Health Initiative to Support the Olympic Games
(A non-SNOMED International organized event)
Location: Las Vegas - Sands Convention Center HALL G BOOTH 11955ET
Drinks reception to follow
Wednesday March 7th 2018:
8:00am - 5:30pm:
Don Sweete, featured panelist, Data Analytics – Clinical and Business Intelligence, HIMSS International Conference (11am)
(A non-SNOMED International organized event)
Location: Wynn Las Vegas, Lafite 5
1:00pm - 2:00pm:
OHI: Healthcare Interoperability at the Olympic Games
(A non-SNOMED International organized event)
Location: Las Vegas - Venetian Convention Center, Murano 3301
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Join in the Conversation @Snomedct and #Snomedct
In November 2017, SNOMED International initiated a consultation period regarding proposed enhancements to SNOMED CT's logic features.
Read the original post: SNOMED CT Description Logic Enhancements - Consultation
Your feedback to the proposal is greatly appreciated and will assist SNOMED International in making the provision of enhanced capabilities as seamless as possible for the majority of users.
Submit your Feedback by February 28th, 2018
The 2018 April Business Meeting schedule has been finalized and registration is now open.
Please access additional information regarding the schedule, registration and booking your accommodation via the below link:
Please book your accommodation by March 17th, 2018 to secure the pre-arranged rate. A list of alternative accommodations has been provided.
For additional questions, please contact Alison Delle (email@example.com)
The Olympic Healthcare Interoperability Initiative (OHI) hopes to offer a real-world proving ground for a more seamless data exchange to treat athletes, trainers and attendees from more than 200 countries.
http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/olympics-himss18-international-interoperability-new-team-sport (Source: Healthcare IT News)
Stay tuned for more information on SNOMED International's involvement in support of interoperability across the Olympic Games over the coming months.
SNOMED International, OHI and HIMSS will be actively sharing information on this initiative with a formal launch at HIMSS18, March 5-9, 2018, Las Vegas.
SNOMED International is proposing enhancements to SNOMED CT's logic features, both to enable improvements to the quality and analytics capabilities of SNOMED CT and to increase productivity in concept authoring. SNOMED International requests that users of SNOMED CT read the Executive Summary provided below, followed by the briefing paper also listed.
Your feedback to the proposal would be greatly appreciated and will assist SNOMED International in making the provision of enhanced capabilities as seamless as possible for the majority of users.
SNOMED International will begin to respond to feedback received by 11 December 2017 on this page on our confluence site and continue until the end of this consultation exercise on 28th February 2018.
Please pass this page on to any other parties you think would have an interest or be impacted by this proposal.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions regarding this consultation.
With over 260 delegates in attendance at this years SNOMED CT Expo, there was a groundswell of commitment, knowledge, and learning displayed from the SNOMED CT community. It was an accomplished assembly of those dedicated to progressing SNOMED CT in support of clinical information exchange.
Please review the attached document "SNOMED CT Expo 2017: Reflections, Presentations & Videos" to take the opportunity to review the session presentations, and keynote and James Read Memorial Lecture presentations.
Please contact email@example.com for additional information.
Visit the SNOMED CT Expo 2018 website to stay up-to-date on details for the 2018 conference in Vancouver, BC, Canada.