This hierarchy contains concepts which are named, authoritative, and internationally relevant staging or grading systems used to either make a judgment about the patient, e.g. cognition, or, evaluate a patient to determine the phase, or progression of a disease.
Some diseases are represented using a staging and/or grading system to signify the severity, extent, or rate of growth of a disease. For example, chronic kidney disease is represented with five stages determined by level of kidney function.
Assessment scale requests
Generally, requests to add the most recent version of an assessment scale are accepted. Updated versions of existing content are also accepted. Older versions may be added if justification is appropriate. Older versions may also remain as active concepts due to the need to retain history on the use of specific instruments.
When adding an assessment to the 273249006 |Assessment scales (assessment scale)| subhierarchy, also add corresponding concepts in the procedure and observable entity hierarchies:
- X assessment scale (assessment scale)
- Assessment using X assessment scale (procedure)
- X scale score (observable entity)
Case sensitivity will most often be CS, except for the procedure concepts with descriptions beginning, "assessment using..."; these will use cl, Only initial character case insensitive.
Do not change the US/GB spelling variants for standardized names.
- Do not add a GB spelling for World Health Organisation, as in 769390009 |World Health Organization Adult Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Self-Report Scale (assessment scale)|, because World Health Organization is the proper name of the organization.
A revised or modified version of an assessment is not a subtype of the original.
Concepts of the type |Assessment using X assessment scale (procedure)| are modeled with a proximal primitive parent of 445536008 | Assessment using assessment scale (procedure)| or one of its subtypes, as appropriate. A Method of Evaluation-action (qualifier value) is also added.
Concepts of the type |X scale score (observable entity)| are modeled with a proximal primitive parent of 782487009 | Assessment score (observable entity)| or one of its subtypes, as appropriate.
- 165317007 |Mental disability discharge score (observable entity)| has a parent of 165314000 |Mental disability assessment score (observable entity)|
(See also Why is Content Rejected page, Proprietary Names for information about use of Questionnaire and Scale names)