David Markwell and Jon Zammit
Anyone with an interest in implementing SNOMED CT solutions, including clinicians, vendors and project managers.
SNOMED CT is used to represent clinical information in a coded form at a level of expressivity appropriate for clinical documentation. SNOMED CT also enables a wide range of additional uses, including clinical decision support, meaning-based retrieval, data analysis, clinical research and reporting. However, the potential value of the terminology is only realized when implemented within a well-designed clinical system, which takes advantage of SNOMED CT's key features.
This tutorial provides a high level roadmap for SNOMED CT implementation, from adoption to planning, specification, procurement, design, development, deployment, and use. Strategies to ensure successful implementation, and a range of additional implementation techniques will also be covered.
After attending this tutorial, the participant should be able to:
- Summarize the phases of SNOMED CT implementation
- Describe key stakeholders and explain their involvement in a SNOMED CT implementation
- Summarize key strategies to ensure implementation success
- Explain the importance of effective and efficient search capabilities
- Describe techniques for entering data using SNOMED CT
- Vendor Introduction to SNOMED CT - http://snomed.org/vendor
- SNOMED CT Search and Data Entry - http://snomed.org/search
- Technical Implementation Guide - http://snomed.org/tig
- Terminology Services Guide - http://snomed.org/tsg
- Record Services Guide - http://snomed.org/rsg