- Provide a tool that enables the management & creation of reference sets (refsets) against the International edition of SNOMED CT and Member extensions.
- Provide a directory of existing reference sets that can be searched and downloaded to be used by others
Background and strategic fit
Reference set management is another part of the authoring and management of SNOMED CT and there is no tool currently which is sufficient to provide that capability alongside the capability for the community to search for existing reference sets.
- IHTSDO Terminology Server (TS) platform to retrieve the terminology. The TS already provides the backend functionality to manage reference sets but there is currently no REST API for this, nor any front end interface.
- IHTSDO Identity Management Server (IMS) for user accounts and authentication - IHTSDO Identity Management Service Documentation
- IHTSDO Component Identifier Service (CIS) for assigning identifiers to new reference sets (within the correct namespace) - ICIS - (this is still in beta/testing)
High Level Requirements
The following high level requirements still stand:
- The creation and maintenance of both extensional and intensional reference sets including version management of these reference sets
- Version management of reference sets including draft and published reference sets
- Import of existing reference sets as content
- Role based access control to the maintenance of reference sets
- The computation of the effect of a related SNOMED CT version on a reference set
- Workflow for approval before publishing but also to provide a facility for external feedback
- A searchable directory containing existing reference sets, as well as entries about reference sets that may be available elsewhere
- The ability to host SNOMED CT extensions in the same instance as International editions.
- Separation between a tool for ‘sub-setting’ SNOMED CT components and a tool for managing releasable SNOMED CT reference sets.
Specific epics that have been identified follow.
Reference Set Management Epics
Directory of reference sets
Create an extensional simple refset
Create an intensional simple refset
Import and host extension simple refsets
Visualize the members of simple refset
Edit the members of simple refsets
Compute the effect of an update to a dependant SNOMED CT version
Create extended-pattern refsets
|9||Edit extended-pattern refsets|
Version management for extensional refsets
Version management for intensional refsets
Managing dependencies between refsets and SNOMED CT versions across extensions
Access to extension content either by multi-tenancy or other integration strategies
Management of extension content within the scope of reference sets
Creation of refset identifiers (with namespaces) using the IHTSDO component identifier service
Module dependency management
Release process for new or updated refsets
|9||Distribution of refset products (including documentation, exemplars, links to human-readable versions)|
Workflow/Business Process Epics
refset identifier concept management (in relation to product & SNOMED releases)
Management of refsets in the context of a product development process
Management of expert review feedback loops
User interaction and design
Below is a list of questions to be addressed as a result of this requirements document: