David Markwell and Jon Zammit, SNOMED International
Anyone with an interest in implementing SNOMED CT solutions, including clinicians, vendors and project managers.
SNOMED CT is used to represent clinical information in a coded form at a level of expressivity appropriate for clinical documentation. SNOMED CT also enables a wide range of additional uses, including clinical decision support, meaning-based retrieval, data analysis, clinical research and reporting. However, the potential value of the terminology is only realized when implemented within a well-designed clinical system, which takes advantage of SNOMED CT's key features.
This tutorial explains a range of SNOMED CT implementation pathways, strategies and techniques, including some newer options made available by recent enhancements to SNOMED CT.
After attending this tutorial, the participant should be able to:
- Summarize the phases of SNOMED CT implementation
- Describe key stakeholders and explain their involvement in a SNOMED CT implementation
- Describe a range of SNOMED CT implementation pathways
- Explain how implementation is supported by recent enhancements to SNOMED CT
- Summarize key strategies to ensure implementation success
- Technical Implementation Guide - http://snomed.org/tig
- SNOMED CT Release File Specification - http://snomed.org/rfs
- SNOMED CT Search and Data Entry - http://snomed.org/search
- Terminology Services Guide - http://snomed.org/tsg
- Record Services Guide - http://snomed.org/rsg