An application programming interface (API) specification of the basic functional requirements used to query and access terminological content.
- Is an abbreviation for Common Terminology Services 2.
- Is used by healthcare software implementers.
- Defines the functional requirements of a set of service interfaces to allow the representation, access, and maintenance of terminology content either locally, or across a federation of terminology services nodes.
- Is specified as an API, rather than a set of data structures. This enables a wide range of terminological content to be integrated within a common framework, without the need for significant migration or revision.
- Was developed from the original HL7 CTS specification and is now a joint initiative between HL7 and the Object Management Group (OMG).