This section provides an overview of how effective use of SNOMED CT:
- Benefits populations
- Benefits individual patients and clinicians
- Supports evidence based healthcare
Why is this important?
Understanding the benefits of
will inform key decisions and the development of strategies for adoption, implementation and
use of this clinical terminology.
What is this?
supports the development of comprehensive high-quality clinical content in health
records. It provides a standardized way to represent clinical phrases captured by
the clinician and enables automatic interpretation of these.
is a clinically validated, semantically rich, controlled vocabulary that facilitates
evolutionary growth in expressivity to meet emerging requirements.
Electronic Health Records
based clinical information benefits individual patients and clinicians as well as
populations and it supports evidence based care.
The use of an
(EHR) improves communication and increases the availability of relevant information.
If clinical information is stored in ways that allow meaning-based retrieval, the
benefits are greatly increased. The added benefits range from increased opportunities
for real time decision support to more accurate retrospective reporting for research
SNOMED CT Enabled Health Records Benefit Individuals
SNOMED CT enabled clinical health records benefit individuals by:
SNOMED CT Enabled Health Records Benefit Populations
enabled clinical health records benefit populations by:
- Facilitating early identification of emerging health issues, monitoring of population
health and responses to changing clinical practices.
- Enabling accurate and targeted access to relevant information, reducing costly duplications
- Enabling the delivery of relevant data to support clinical research and contribute
evidence for future improvements in treatment.
- Enhancing audits of care delivery with options for detailed analysis of clinical records
to investigate outliers and exceptions.
SNOMED CT Enabled Health Records Support Evidence-Based Healthcare
SNOMED CT enabled health records inform evidence based health care decisions by:
- Enabling links between clinical records and enhanced clinical guidelines and protocols.
- Enhancing the quality of care experienced by individuals.
- Reducing costs of inappropriate and duplicative testing and treatment.
- Limiting the frequency and impact of adverse healthcare events.
- Raising the cost-effectiveness and quality of care delivered to populations.