Anne Højen and David Markwell
SNOMED CT National Release Centers (NRCs), clinicians, developers, vendors and data analysts.
SNOMED CT reference sets provide a standard way of representing a set of references to SNOMED CT components. Reference sets are used to customize the terminology to meet a wide range of practical requirements, including constraining a search to a specific subset of SNOMED CT, or performing a map from a local code system to SNOMED CT.
This tutorial provides an introduction to SNOMED CT reference sets, and explains the purpose and design of a range of different types of reference sets. The reference set development process, and implementation considerations are also explored.
After attending this tutorial, the participant should be able to:
- Explain the difference between a subset, a value set, and a references set
- Describe the purposes for which reference sets may be used
- Summarize the different types of reference sets and provide examples use cases for each
- Describe the phases of reference set development and implementation
- Practical Guide to Reference Sets - http://snomed.org/refsetpg
- Release File Specification (Reference Set Specification) - http://snomed.org/rfs-refset_files
- IHTSDO Refset Management & Translation Tool - https://refset.ihtsdotools.org