Understanding the benefits of
will inform key decisions and the development of strategies for adoption, implementation and use of this clinical terminology.
What is this?
supports the development of comprehensive high-quality clinical content in health records. It provides a standardized way to represent clinical phrases captured by the clinician and enables automatic interpretation of these.
is a clinically validated, semantically rich, controlled vocabulary that facilitates evolutionary growth in expressivity to meet emerging requirements.
Electronic Health Records
based clinical information benefits individual patients and clinicians as well as populations and it supports evidence based care.
The use of an
|t||Electronic Health Record|
(EHR) improves communication and increases the availability of relevant information. If clinical information is stored in ways that allow meaning-based retrieval, the benefits are greatly increased. The added benefits range from increased opportunities for real time decision support to more accurate retrospective reporting for research and management.
SNOMED CT Enabled Health Records Benefit Populations
enabled clinical health records benefit populations by:
- Enabling links between clinical records and enhanced clinical guidelines and protocols.
- Enhancing the quality of care experienced by individuals.
- Reducing costs of inappropriate and duplicative testing and treatment.
- Limiting the frequency and impact of adverse healthcare events.
- Raising the cost-effectiveness and quality of care delivered to populations.