For example, in the AMA Manual of Style, cancer stages are expressed with the use of capital Roman numerals: stage I, stage II, stage III, stage IV. The term, "stage 0", usually indicates carcinoma in situ. Histologic grades are expressed with Arabic Arabic numerals, e.g., grade 2.
- There may be too many possibilities
- A finding of number of lesions might have ranges of 1, 2 to 5, and greater than 5; 1 to 2, 3 to 10, and greater than 10, or etc.
- There may be possible changes to reference ranges or systems of units
- The normal serum sodium concentration is usually defined as 135 to 145 mEq/L. Low serum sodium should not use the phrase serum sodium less than 135 mEq/L. (It ; it should use a phrase such as serum sodium concentration below reference range).
- A body mass index (BMI) score as an indicator of obesity
|title||Exception: acceptable numeric range|
A standard definition with a fixed numeric range may be acceptable, i.e., the range is an explanation or definition of the score, may be acceptable.
- A histologic scoring system with a score of 1 when there are 0 to 5 mitoses per high power field, and a score of 2 when there are 6 to 10, and etc.
- The Tumor, Node, Metastases (TNM) Classification of Malignant Tumor