Local sets are a new construct for the creation of sets of concepts, similar to reference sets, but do not exist within a released or published edition or extension of SNOMED CT. This give users without extensions or releases, the ability to create these sets of concepts and distribute them without having to create a SNOMED release.
Local sets look very similar to reference sets but have the following different characteristics:
- The identifier of the local set is not validated as a valid SNOMED CT ID and therefore can be whatever the user wishes. This identifier is provided in the rf2 download in a column called localSetId.
- The local set has no moduleId and is defaulted to '0' in the rf2 download.
If the user wants to include these sets in a SNOMED release, then they need to recreate the set as a reference set, with a valid refset id, namespace and module id, which in itself, means that they would need to have an initial release to include the reference set.
Creating Local Set
To add a local set follow these steps:
- Log into the tool (https://refset.ihtsdotools.org)
- Select the "Refset" tab
- Click on the "Add Local Set" button
- Fill out the "Add Local Set" form
- Created Local Set is listed as follows with the 'L' icon to differentiate it from Refsets