Each SNOMED CT component is managed and maintained in a module identified by its
A SNOMED CT module is defined as
a group of SNOMED CT components and/or reference set members that, at a given point in time, are managed, maintained and distributed as a unit.
- Components and reference set members that are part of the same module are share the same
- The organization responsible for managing and maintaining components in a module, is the organization that created that moduleId.
- Each components and reference set member is a part of one and only one module as at a given point in time.
- All modules, except one International Edition module, have dependencies on other modules and these dependencies are specified by the 4.2.12. Module Dependency Reference Set.
- An organization, that is authorized to create a SNOMED CT Extension is responsible for organize the components and reference set members that they create into one or more modules, in a way that best fits its business needs.
- The organization responsible for a module can move a components or reference set member from that module to another module that it is responsible for, by creating a revised version of the components or reference set member with a different moduleId. The component is part of the new module from the effectiveTime of the revised version.
- Subject to rules related to movement of components between two extensions or between an extension and the International Edition, it is possible for a components or reference set member to be moved between modules maintained by different organizations.