If the source concept asserts an age or phase of life for onset of the disorder, a target will be selected first including the restriction or, if none is available, then a more general classification target (mapCategoryId="Properly classified", mapRule =TRUE, mapAdvice=NULL) that is inclusive of the source concept. No mapRule restrictions for age will be applied in cases where there is a properly classified ICD-10 Map target. If the authoritative sources include specifications for employment of age, those will be used. Otherwise, these definitions for common phases of life will be employed:
- "Neonatal": birth to completion of 28 days of life
- "Perinatal": 22 weeks of gestation to completion of 7 days of life
- "Childhood": birth until 19th birthday
- "Adult": 19th birthday until death
- "Infant (infancy)": birth until 2nd birthday
- "Juvenile": 2nd birthday until 19th birthday
- "Adolescence": 12th birthday until 19th birthday
- "Pre-senile": birth until 65th birthday
- "Senile": 65th birthday onwards
If the source concept does not assert age or time of life and only restricted targets are within scope, the map will be considered CONTEXT DEPENDENT and the Map Terminologist will assemble two or more Map members including Map Rules to properly classify to each ICD-10 target classification. The mapRule will be constructed with reference to the SNOMED CT observable for "current chronological age."
Exemplar: Age: #1
Notes and Exceptions
Juvenile-onset and adult-onset diabetes will be considered archaic terminology and treated as type 1 and type 2 diabetes respectively.